1. How long have you been emceeing/producing and what is your process for doing each of these? I've been emceeing and producing since about 1991. As far as emceeing goes, I am more of a poet than a battle emcee. I like to vibe off of a beat for hours before I write one single word. Mainly because, the beat determines what cadences I use or create. So once I really have committed the beat to my inner being and the beat becomes a part of me........then I put the pen to paper. Now production, that's a little different. I usually find a really dope sample and then start building around it. I like to let the root sample determine the tempo and groove of a beat, then I just build from there.
2. What type of equipment do you use to make your beats? I use an Ensoniq ASR X Pro (the little red box). It is very "user-friendly" as compared to other more desirable beat machines. But I have to have something easy, because I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to computers and electronics.
3. Do you have any plans to do music full-time? I would love to do that. Right now it's just not feasible with a wife and 2 kids. But one day once I'm in more demand......maybe. But by then I'll be like 40 years old or something. I definitely ain't getting any younger. Ha Ha!
4. What do you do full time? I work for Hilton Hotels Corporation. That's my full-time gig. Although my heart and passion are in music. Hilton is the vehicle that God has blessed me with for paying the bills.
5. What is a Sivion set like? Do you do Deepspace 5 or PHATKATS songs also? A Sivion set is like a box of chocolates......you never know which one you're gonna get. Just kidding. Actually it is just like my album, a twisting turning emotional journey into my heart. I do not do any Phat KATS stuff anymore, although I did when I first went solo. However I do have a Deepspace5 medley that I do to appease the DS5 fans a bit. Also, I do a little call and response type stuff and sometimes even incorporate my sax. She's wounded right now so I'm waiting to get her to the doctors at Brook Mays...............Hang in there Honey......the paramedics are coming soon...
6. What enhances your "Mood"? The knowledge of Christ in my heart and God's guidance through the Holy Spirit. That enhances my mood. Watching God's Grace unfold throughout each step of every day, enhances my mood. The response I get after each and every show...enhances my mood. In all these years, I have never gotten a bad response at a show. Sometimes it appears that kats aren't into it, but then later at the merch table.........it becomes obvious that lots of people saw the light that I brought with me to that particular spot. And what a blessing it is to receive that encouragement from a perfect stranger.
7. If you had could be another Deepspace5 member who would you be and why? I would be Sintax because of his heart and his ridiculous wordplay. I'd be Manchild so that I could battle anyone and hold my own at the drop of a hat. I'd be Playdough because of the passion he brings to his music. I'd be Sev because of the boldness he displays for God. I'd be Fred because of the way he bullies a crowd into responding. (LOL!!) I'd be Listener because of the risks that he is willing to take in exploring new things with his music. I'd be Rabbi for his tremendous ear for music. I'd be Manny because, face it he is a dope turntablist! I'd be Dust for his ability to producer flat out "Bangers"! Then lastly I'd be me just because that's what God intended!
8. I was talking to Patrick and he said that you are planning to release an EP soon? Could you tell me about it? Whose going to be on it? (artist and producers). It's actually not an EP, but more like a short LP. It will probably have about 10-12 songs on it. Lots of production from Ohmega Watts and Siamese and will be released on Hip Hop Is Music, which is Braille's label. Not sure who will be on it yet. Still in the conceptual stages. But the first song I've finished so far will be one called "I Still Love H.E.R." which is a spin off of the Common classic, "I Used to Love H.E.R." Siamese made a banger of a beat for this one!
9. How did you signed to Illect? Sintax has been working with ILLECT for a long time and has been begging me to give them a try, so I did.....and I'm extremely happy with how my project has been promoted and handled. They really work hard at trying to make the most out of what they have to work with. I'm very impressed.